Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Traffic

6:45 pm on the office clock,time to call it a day - Its been another pointless day at work. I am not sure where my career is going really. Faintly hoping for a brighter future, I pick up my laptop bag and head for the door. I slide into the driver seat of my car, back it up and head for the cellar opening.

I reach the intersection point on the way back home where i have to make a decision. A steady crowded road which will get me home in about an hour and 20 minutes time or a relatively less crowded road but with a major bottle neck where they are building a new flyover.

I fidget for a while and decide to risk the latter - who knows, if i get through the bottleneck quickly i will be home in less than an hour

till about half a kilometer ahead of the bottleneck , everything seems ok. Then slowly traffic slows down and soon comes to a standstill I just add my self to the end of a long queue. On other days I have seen the Queue move steadily but today its not moving.

I just shutdown the car and wait. The radio keeps playing too many commercials so i switch it off. and then I start watching the scenery and people outside to bide time. The scenery is all filthy concrete, and the people are all around. There are Bikers and autowallas who try to creep through the smallest spaces. Noticing this, I inch ahead to the car in front of me and close the gap so that not even a cycle can sneak through. Its an art i have perfected over the years. Not allowing the other people to wade through the small nooks gives me a bit of sadistic pleasure ; I grin !

I notice the walking pretty lass I overtook a while back - now she is walking past my car. she keeps talking into her mobile and slowly disappears into the labyrinth of cars and automobiles - everybody likes to call pretty lasses :-) . I look at the clock close to - 7:45.I have Been covering inch by inch for almost an hour now. I finally get out of the bottleneck at about 7:55 pm and heaving a huge sigh of relief. still about 45 mins of driving to get to home.

I reach home finally at 8:45 pm. as i lock the car and take the elevator to my flat,I resolve to try a new route the next day :)

No comments: